Song of the Day (7/14/13): Joy Division - Disorder

Joy Division - Disorder


Today's song of the day is Disorder by Joy Division.  Joy Division is an English rock band that formed in 1976.  The band's unique sound has been described as "fairly undistinguished punk-inflected hard-rock".  Joy Division's success was cut short by the 1980 death of troubled singer, Ian Curtis.  Curtis suffered from severe depression along with personal issues that included a dissipating marriage.  He was also diagnosed with epilepsy, which made it very to perform live, as he would often have seizures while on stage.  He committed suicide on May 18, 1980.  His personal difficulties are the root of the darkness behind the music of Joy Division.  This piece of music is not for everyone, but it is brilliant nevertheless.  The band's highest charting song, "Love Will Tear Us Apart",  was released posthumously in June 1980.  Joy Division's two albums were released with immense critical acclaim.  After Curtis' death, the three remaining members created the band, New Order.

Lyrics
I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand, 
Could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man? 
These sensations barely interest me for another day, 

I've got the spirit, lose the feeling, take the shock away. 
It's getting faster, moving faster now, it's getting out of hand, 
On the tenth floor, down the back stairs, it's a no man's land, 
Lights are flashing, cars are crashing, getting frequent now, 
I've got the spirit, lose the feeling, let it out somehow. 
What means to you, what means to me, and we will meet again, 
I'm watching you, I'm watching her, I'll take no pity from you friends,
Who is right, who can tell, and who gives a damn right now, 
Until the spirit new sensation takes hold, then you know, 
Until the spirit new sensation takes hold, then you know, 
Until the spirit new sensation takes hold, then you know, 
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling, 
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling, 
Feeling, feeling, feeling, feeling, feeling, feeling, feeling.

Listen to 'Disorder'


Watch Joy Division Perform 'She's Lost Control' Live


4 comments :

  1. this is awful! My ears are bleeding right now! I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather be listening to Bieber right now. God this is terrible...what happened here TNMR?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Joy Division was one of the most courageous bands of the 20th Century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As he said "This piece of music is not for everyone, but it is brilliant nevertheless" OPEN YOUR DAMN MIND

      Delete
    2. ew i hope this is a joke

      Delete
  2. That was the best description of JD I have ever read. This guy is a genius. The stories I've heard about DWilliams are beyond amazing. Keep the articles coming!

    ReplyDelete