The Taking Notes Music Tour Preview: Passion Pit

The Taking Notes Music Tour:  Day 2



Before we get started, I AM aware that we are starting out of order.  If you checked the schedule for The Taking Notes Music Tour, you may have noticed that the first show was on Friday, March 22, with Taylor Swift.  That concert went incredibly well, and we will write about it very soon.  However, Passion Pit is fresh on our minds and we decided to write this article first.
-------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

There is so much we want to share about this fantastic show.  This concert was held at the very small, Davidson College.  Davidson, North Carolina is a town of just 11,000.  In such a small town, you may be wondering where they held this event.  Belk Arena is the home to the Davidson College basketball team.  This venue is not used to managing large crowds or holding concerts.  Before the concert began, we experienced some difficulties with an uneducated Davidson College Event Staff.  However, once we were allowed inside and the opening act started to perform, everything went smoothly.  

The opening act for Passion Pit's concert in Davidson was We Barbarians.  If you aren't familiar with the work done by We Barbarians, you should.  Their most recognized song is their single, Chambray. At the show, they announced that they will have a new EP release in "Early Summer".  Their set was fairly short, lasting about 20 minutes. 

There was a short 10 minute break between the end of the performance by We Barbarians and the start of the headliner, Passion Pit.  At this point, the small arena really began to fill up and crowd with people.  As a member of the Press, I was able to get around the arena with ease.  The small venue was not even close to selling out.  There were plenty of empty seats around the outside, with plenty of space available on the floor. I spent the majority of my time on the floor, where I could fully experience the emotions the band poured out on the spectators.

The concert was really fantastic.  For such a great band to play for such a small crowd was unsettling to me at first.  I didn't know how the band would be able to control this little, seemingly quiet crowd.  I was completely mistaken.  Passion Pit was able to electrify the crowd with ease and had the entire crowd (including me!) jumping and singing along with the music.  Before the concert in Davidson, I was a small Passion Pit fan.  I knew more than just Take a Walk but I hadn't gone into too much depth, when listening to their albums.  For the 72 hours following the concert, I listened to nothing but Passion Pit. The way the band was able to electrify the crowd was phenomenal.  Lead singer, Michael Angelakos, took no time getting the show started with Gossamer track, I'll Be Alright. They continuously switched between playing songs from their debut album, Manners, and their latest album from 2012, Gossamer.  They ended their set with Sleepyhead, which was the song that allowed for Michael to make a name for himself. This had the crowd going crazy, after another thrilling performance.  Honestly, there was never a lack of energy in that building.  A large part of this was the way the setlist was put together.  It was really fantastic.  Here is a copy of the complete setlist:  

Passion Pit Setlist Belk Arena - Davidson College, Davidson, NC, USA 2013



Ultimately, it was one of the best concerts I've been to in a long time.  Most performers of this genre struggle to bring the same sound to the live stage.  Passion Pit definitely did not have that problem.  They played just as good, if not better than the recordings.  Angelakos' vocal ability proved to be extraordinary.  If I ever have the opportunity to see them perform live again, I will definitely go.  If you see that Passion Pit is coming to a city near you, I definitely recommend that you do your best to be there. I can guarantee that you will have a good time.  It was a great show, and I am glad that they decided tothe show, to give you some unique insight into the Passion Pit Concert at Belk Arena in Davidson, North Carolina.  I hope you enjoyed our first edition of The Taking Notes Music Tour; if you h be a part of The Taking Notes Music Tour.  Below I have included a number of pictures and videos from ave any suggestions for how we should write these reviews in the future, please tell us in the comment section below!


Davidson College Event Gallery:
CLICK TO ENLARGE













Listen to the Songs From the Setlist on Spotify!




Listen to More 'Passion Pit'




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Videos From the Passion Pit Show in Davidson:
(Not Associated With Taking Notes Music)










10 comments :

  1. NIICE! Been waitin for dis one! There is a video dat doesnt work and the spotify playlist doest work doe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard reports of the video not working, but I am aware of the Spotify issue. The playlist should be fixed by Thursday. Thanks for keeping me posted!

      Delete
  2. It says that the article posted last night, but I didn't see it until this evening. Better than I was expectnig, but I should have expedcted this from TNMR!! "J-Dog" is right about spotify not wroking. Other than that it was Perff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

    this article was so good. Can't wait for the rest of the TNMTour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are some badass pictures! Everybody I know is so psyched for this "Taking Notes Music Tour"! So many great artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really excited too! We will be announcing some additional artists soon, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! They were really fantastic, I went in with low-ish expectations, but they blew my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, now im ready for something new to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I hope we get something new before the next TNMTour article which is need to breathe.

      Delete